Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Continued violence The incident comes less than a week after the US and Taliban signed a deal that would pave the way for the complete withdrawal of foreign troops in 14 months.The US withdrawal hinges to a great extent on the Taliban being able to control jihadist forces such as the Islamic State group. If such groups remain, so too does the American military.Since the much-trumpeted deal signing, fighting has continued to rage across Afghanistan, casting a pall over hopes the agreement would lead to a reduction in violence and talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government.IS, which follows a radical Sunni interpretation of Islam, first became active in Afghanistan in 2015 and for years held territory in the eastern province of Nangarhar. It has claimed responsibility for a string of horrific bombings, including several in Kabul targeting the city’s Shiite community.In recent months the group has been hit by mounting setbacks after being hunted for years by US and Afghan forces along with multiple Taliban offensives targeting their fighters. Still, IS remains in Afghanistan, notably in eastern Kunar province near the Pakistan border, which also neighbors Nangarhar, as well as in Kabul. “The figures will change,” he said.Nizamuddin Jalil, a health ministry official, gave a slightly higher toll, saying 29 people had been killed and 30 others wounded. The Taliban immediately denied responsibility for the assault, which occurred at the commemoration ceremony for Abdul Ali Mazari — a politician from the Hazara ethnic group, most of whom are Shiite.An Islamic State group-claimed attack on the same ceremony last year saw a barrage of mortar fire kill at least 11 people. At least 27 people were killed in an attack on a political rally in Kabul on Friday, officials said, in the deadliest assault in Afghanistan since the US signed a withdrawal deal with the Taliban.The attack highlights the glaring lack of security in the heavily fortified Afghan capital just 14 months ahead of the scheduled withdrawal of all foreign forces under an agreement signed on February 29 by the US and the Taliban.Interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said women and children were among the dead with an additional 29 wounded, adding that “special forces units are carrying out clearance operations against the attackers”. Topics : Rahimi had earlier said that gunfire had erupted from a construction site near the ceremony in the city’s west, which is largely Shiite. Photos on social media showed several dead bodies being collected after the attack.President Ashraf Ghani condemned the massacre, calling it a “crime against humanity”.The ceremony was attended by many of the country’s political elite, including Afghanistan’s chief executive Abdullah Abdullah.The interior ministry later confirmed to reporters that “all the high-ranking officials were safely evacuated from the scene”.”We left the ceremony following the gunfire, and a number of people were wounded, but I do not have any reports of martyred people for now,” Hazara leader Mohammad Mohaqiq told Tolo News.
The Central Java administration has formed a team to track down approximately 1,500 Central Java residents who attended a mass religious gathering in Gowa, South Sulawesi, following the emergence of a COVID-19 cluster in Brebes regency.On Wednesday, 16 residents of Brebes who had, in March, attended an international tabligh (Islamic mass gathering) in Gowa regency, South Sulawesi, tested positive for COVID-19.Several other cities and regencies in Central Java have reported that people who had participated in the gathering had contracted the virus. ”I’m afraid there will be a new COVID-19 cluster from the attendees of the Gowa gathering,” Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo said on Thursday.He called on residents who had attended the gathering to report to authorities for testing.“Please help us by reporting to authorities. Don’t be afraid; we won’t scold you. Instead, we will treat you – if you are confirmed positive for the coronavirus – to protect your families and others from transmission [of the virus],” Ganjar said. Ganjar has also asked the Tegal city administration to create its own special team because of the city’s proximity to Brebes.He asked the community group Jogo Tonggo (neighbors looking after each other) to report if they found any of the gathering’s attendees in their records.As of Thursday, Central Java had confirmed 904 cases of COVID-19 and 64 deaths. (aly)Topics :
The Supreme Audit Agency (BPK) has been auditing the financial system authority and several state companies as part of its investigative audit on state-owned insurer PT Asuransi Jiwasraya following the Attorney General’s Office’s (AGO) decision to name more suspects in the Jiwasraya corruption case.Chairman Agung Firman Sampurna said on Monday the investigative audit had been extended beyond the previous audit and now included investigations into the Financial Services Authority (OJK), the Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX), the State-Owned Enterprises (SOEs) Ministry and other state-owned companies linked to Jiwasraya.“We’re encountering some difficulties in the audit [due to the COVID-19 pandemic], but we hope we can complete the audit by the end of this year,” he said. It also named an OJK official, identified only as FH, a suspect in the case. He was suspected of abuse of power, which allegedly paved the way for Jiwasraya’s investment mismanagement during FH’s tenure as OJK department head of capital market monitoring from 2014 to 2017.Agung also said the agency was open to the possibility of pursuing further investigations into economic losses related to the Jiwasraya case in the future.“If law enforcers link this case to something much bigger, there’s a possibility that we may also calculate the loss to the economy,” he said.Agung on Monday also defended the agency’s audit on Jiwasraya and denied an accusation that he, the BPK vice chairman and the agency were protecting certain parties in the audit.“According to the audit procedure, law enforcers will have to submit a request to the BPK to calculate the amount of state losses [from this case],” Agung told the press in Jakarta. “With this logic, it would be silly to accuse the BPK, its chairman and vice chairman of protecting certain parties.”The statement came after Benny Tjokrosaputro, the defendant in the corruption case, accused the agency of protecting conglomerate Bakrie group in the Jiwasraya case.“The BPK chairman and vice chairman are covering up [Bakrie group’s involvement and] they are definitely Bakrie’s cronies,” Benny said before attending a hearing at the Central Jakarta District Court last Wednesday, as reported by tempo.co.Benny also called on the AGO to uncover Bakrie group’s involvement in the stock pump-and-dump scheme, which caused Jiwasraya to book losses since 2006, Kompas reported last Friday.The insurer was known to have invested in two of the group’s publicly listed entities, property developer PT Bakrieland Development and investment company PT Bakrie & Brothers. Both stocks have been priced at Rp 50 apiece since 2018.However, Jiwasraya president director Hexana Tri Sasongko said the insurer had long sold the stocks before he was appointed as the president director in May 2018.Due to the accusation, Agung said the BPK planned to report Benny to the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) for defamation.Topics : Although the investigative audit was less likely to uncover additional losses from Jiwasraya’s investment mismanagement, the agency expressed hope that the result could reveal where the premium had gone to.It also expected to create a systemic improvement to protect customers from potential fraud in the financial services industry in the future and to improve public trust in Indonesian assets.Jiwasraya is accused of mismanagement and corruption when it invested most of its premium revenue from the JS Saving Plan, one of the company’s insurance products, in pumped-and-dumped stocks. As a result, it failed to pay out Rp 16 trillion (US$1.1 billion) in matured policies due in February to its policyholders.The AGO on Thursday accused the 13 companies of mismanaging or laundering the premium revenue collected by Jiwasraya from 2014 to 2018. They allegedly caused Rp 12.35 trillion of state losses, or 73.46 percent of the total Rp 16.81 trillion in state losses as previously audited by the BPK.
BPL is the first large sector scheme in the Netherlands to want to significantly raise its contribution in 2020.Social partners are considering an increase to BPL’s premium by another 1.4% in 2021, possibly in combination with an accrual reduction.At the moment, annual pensions accrual is 1.875%, which equates to the maximum tax-facilitated level.As a consequence of the new agreement, BPL’s premium coverage ratio is to rise to approximately 75% in 2021.Other large pension funds, including ABP, PFZW, PME and PMT, have announced they would keep their premiums unchanged next year.However, three of them have indicated that a sharp increase of contributions in 2021 cannot be avoided.The €29bn multi-sector pension fund PGB has said it would keep its contribution for 2020 at the current level, but would apply a 4% increase for 2021.The decision of the large industry-wide pension funds to stick to the current status quo next year has drawn criticism from pension experts.Marc Heemskerk, actuary at Mercer, has warned that this would lead to bigger rights cuts later.Consultancy Willis Towers Watson said that, if interest rates remained at the current low level, the minimum required contribution may have to rise by up to 40%. Employers and trade unions in the agricultural sector said they want to raise the contribution at industry-wide pension fund (BPL) by 3.3% to 25%, in order to improve the scheme’s funding.Although BPL does not have to increase its premium – its agreement for a fixed contribution extends to 2022 – social partners want to improve the scheme’s financial health earlier, explained Richard Devue, the pension fund’s director.He said social partners have become increasingly aware that BPL’s current pension plan is no longer future-proof.At the end of November, BPL’s coverage ratio stood at 92.4%, while its “premium funding” – which indicates to what extent the paid in contributions in a given year are sufficient to finance new pension claims – was approximately 60%.
Ram Head could be ‘game changer’Also, an updated competent person’s report (CPR) was commissioned to incorporate the company’s most recent independent reservoir engineering studies as well as development options based on landing gas at the current Inch landfall for Kinsale gas in County Cork and gas market assessment.The previous CPR from 2018 gave best estimate and high estimate prospective gas resources net to the company of 508 and 1,370 bcf respectivelyThe updated CPR will represent the first such independent analysis of the development potential of the Ram Head gas structure based on a ten vertical well development concept which forecasts gas recovery of over 1 tcf of gross gas in 11 years from production start-up.Paul Griffiths, chief executive of Predator, said: “We consider the 49/19-1 gas discovery to potentially represent the largest undeveloped gas discovery offshore Ireland. It is located in the shallow water of the Celtic Sea, where there has been a long history of commercial gas production […].“The upcoming CPR is an important milestone to independently validate the potential of Ram Head to become a real ‘game-changer’ and to provide the catalyst for further progress.”Spotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Offshore Energy Today, established in 2010, is read by more than 10.000 industry professionals daily.We had almost 9 million page views in 2018, with 2.4 million new users. This makes us one of the world’s most attractive online platforms in the space of offshore oil and gas.These stats allow our partners advertising on Offshore Energy Today to get maximum exposure to their online campaigns. If you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today contact our marketing manager Mirza Duran for advertising options. Predator Oil & Gas Holdings has been awarded a one-year extension of Licensing Option (LO) 16/30 offshore Ireland.Predator said on Wednesday that the LO would be extended to November 30, 2019, subject to carrying out the work program agreed with the Department of Communications, Climate Action, and Environment.The company said that a decision to proceed to an application for an exploration license would be made 60 days before the end of the licensing option or sooner.LO 16/30 was awarded to Predator in June 2016 as part of the 2015 Atlantic Margin Licensing Round. It is operated by Predator Oil and Gas Ventures with a 50% stake, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Predator. The partner of in the LO is Theseus which holds the remaining 50%.As for the work program, it includes the purchase and reprocessing of existing 2D seismic data and ongoing desktop studies focused on re-evaluating the Marathon 49/19-1 gas discovery made in 1984 on the Ram Head prospect.
ILOILO City – A 90-year-old retiredteacher living alone was robbed and killed in Barangay Tacas, Jaro district. The investigation is continuing. A neighbor, Espe Tabuada, told thepolice she did not suspect anything out of the ordinary although Argel’s houseseemed closed and she had not seen her come out. “This is a case of homicide androbbery,” said Defensor. “Her house was ransacked. Things were strewn allaround. Her money was gone.” Rosa Argel was found dead in herkitchen by nephew Leonel Songcuya, 47, at around 9 a.m. on Saturday. She hadhead injuries. Defensor said the police already havea person of interest but declined to give details. A broken bottle was found near Argel.It may have been used to bludgeon her on the head, said Police Colonel MartinDefensor, city police director. “We are looking for witnesses andevidences,” said Defensor./PN
Daniel Lee Giesting, son of Amanda and Louis Giesting of Batesville, was stillborn Saturday, June 4, 2016 at Margaret Mary Hospital. In addition to his parents, he is survived by brothers Wilbur and Henry Giesting; maternal grandparents Pat and Rick Flodder of Oldenburg; paternal grandparents Mary Lou and Lee Giesting of Batesville; maternal great grandfather Wilbur “Doc” Flodder of Oldenburg as well as numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. A private service will be held at Holy Family Church with burial in the church cemetery. Weigel Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Premier League leaders Liverpool could claim a first title for 30 years at Anfield after the initial batch of fixtures of the restart was announced on Friday. Anfield will host Liverpool’s clash with Crystal Palace on June 24 Jurgen Klopp’s men, with a commanding 25-point lead at the top of the table, were just two wins away from clinching the title before coronavirus forced the suspension of football in March. Liverpool’s first match back is against Everton on June 21. The Merseyside derby is due to take place at Goodison Park, less than a mile from Anfield, but a venue has not been confirmed by the Premier League. Crystal Palace will then visit Anfield three days later. Wins in both of those matches would guarantee Liverpool’s first English top-flight title since 1990. But if Manchester City lose at home to Arsenal on June 17, the Reds would be champions if they beat Everton. Liverpool City Council’s safety advisory group will meet next week to make a decision on whether the game can go ahead at Goodison or should be moved to a neutral venue. All remaining 92 Premier League games this season will be played behind closed doors, but there are fears that hosting the game in Liverpool could encourage supporters to congregate around stadiums. Palace’s trip to Anfield will kick off at 2015 local time (1915 GMT). The only other match that could be moved to a neutral venue from the first three rounds of fixtures is Liverpool’s visit to City on July 2. The mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, voiced fears that “there would be many thousands of people who would turn up outside Anfield” on the day Liverpool’s long wait for a league title was ended. That has been disputed by the club, who said they have engaged with supporters’ groups to make sure social-distancing guidelines are followed. Aston Villa will host Sheffield United in the first match of “Project Restart”, followed by Arsenal’s trip to City on June 17. Manchester United’s visit to Tottenham will spearhead the first full round of matches spread over four days from June 19 to 22. Loading… Read Also: Barca confident Messi can face Mallorca, despite thigh injury Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: “We know it won’t be the same without our loyal supporters in stadiums but, together with our broadcast partners, we are able to ensure fans can watch or listen to each match live from home.” “I am delighted we are able to take another positive step towards the season returning in just under two weeks’ time,” he added. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
However, Reina, reunited with his former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez in Italy, denies he has already confirmed his departure. “That is what the manager says apparently but I have two years left on my contract,” he told BBC Sport. “Liverpool got another goalkeeper (Simon Mignolet) and they told me they were happy to loan me for a season. “It was strange but I don’t regret it. The only thing about the letter is that I just could say goodbye in a different way and I couldn’t do it (in person). “There are always up and downs in a career and in the last two and a half years at Liverpool there were different methods and perhaps I didn’t do as good as I used to with Rafa.” Benitez remains circumspect on Reina’s long-term future. “He reads the game very well and is one of the best goalkeepers in the world,” the Spaniard told Sky Italia. “Will he stay at Napoli? He has a clause and we know it – meanwhile he should continue to do well until the end of the season.” Napoli’s on-loan goalkeeper Jose Reina remains at odds with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers over his future at Anfield. Press Association Last month the Reds boss, in response to comments from the goalkeeper about needing to return to Merseyside to make a decision, said he believed the 31-year-old had already made up his mind. “Pepe made it very clear when he went to Napoli he was looking to move as he penned a great big letter saying he was going to work with the best manager that he’d worked with and thanked everyone for his time for Liverpool,” said Rodgers.